4 I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus. 5For in him you have been enriched in every way—with all kinds of speech and with all knowledge— 6 God thus confirming our testimony about Christ among you. 7Therefore you do not lack any spiritual gift as you eagerly wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8 He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
I like these verses a lot, especially 7 which popped out at me last week at bible study. I've always thought waiting inherently meant you were lacking something. It's seemed pretty negative, not being where you want to be, stuck in an undesirable transitional period. Really cloudy and directionless! Or a sharp elbow nudge saying you were too passive to make things happen. Waiting has almost become like reading books on the el or wearing TRUE LOVE WAITS rings, things people don't do anymore or think too conservative.
So great to think of waiting as part of God wanting you to be where you are. That you're not lacking any spiritual gift. I've never really been good at being excited for things either, in the present or future. Looking back, I could've been more excited for (instead of terrified of) all the question marks...going abroad...graduating..moving..etc. But what does it look like to be eagerly waiting, not feeling like you want to skip everything in between and get to the good stuff? Is eagerly waiting only possible because of what you're waiting for? the view from the sky and Christ coming? I like this idea, that you're not waiting because you're missing something. I thought being suspended in midair could only get so comfortable, but God (yet again) knocks open these formulas, breaks the logic.
No comments:
Post a Comment