Monday, August 1, 2011

beauty

I was just reading a Christian article on inner beauty, a topic that's been done over to the death, but which I think is so relevant. What really got me was when the writer said that beauty is doing, not just a state of being.  It seems pretty obvious now, the more I think about it.  I like thinking of beauty--this broad, sweeping word that's been overused, is becoming old-fashioned--as inherently containing movement.    Movement which is of course complex and awkward at times, elbows in the wrong places.  Which necessitates being with other people.  I like that kind of awkwardness, it's much easier to forgive, easier to love.  I think our (my!) mistake is thinking that beauty is something you have or don't have, 2D or static, physical appearances we're socialized into wanting for ourselves.  Thinking about what's beautiful in terms of action... making conversation, cooking a meal no matter how it turns out, waiting, doing things you don't want to but think are good for you/someone else.  And that kind of beauty gets ascribed to the person doing those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment