Sunday, February 27, 2011

borders is closing

Which I feel sad about.  Local bookstores are extremely charming (with or without the stale used book smell), but, just like knowing an indie song before it gets big, it's easy to feel elitist about them like you're part of an inner circle.  Chains have a kind of mainstream charm too I think!  The predictability of the place and knowing what it'll be like before even going inside.  For that reason I loved Target when I first moved to Chicago.  So familiar, Targets that look the same everywhere, the same generic signs and products.  It's funny how consumerism can take on a homey feel.  I wonder what that's saying about our society..

But I can only be happy about the 60% off closing sale at the Hyde Park store.  $6 got me Missing You, Metropolis by Gary Jackson.  A lot of poems in the collection are spoken from the point of view of superheroes' wives and other characters from comics, even one from the Joker.  I really like the cross-pollination of different genres...Interesting how the different things that pass through your bloodstream seem to end up in the same place, whatever they are, comics, rap, paintings, etc.

3 comments:

  1. oh you cutie patootie you. and from where did you hear this poet? -emilie

    ReplyDelete
  2. just from the bookshelves! it got chosen for a prize by a poet yusef komunyakaa who's great! it's like i'm getting a recommendation from him...

    ReplyDelete